The National Employment Lawyers Association of New Jersey (NELA-NJ) is a statewide organization of attorneys who solely or primarily represent individuals in employment-related matters. Member attorneys are committed to protecting and expanding the legal rights and opportunities of working women and men through litigation, education and advocacy. NELA-NJ promotes the workplace rights of individual employees through legislative public policy initiatives and the submission of amicus curiae briefs to the New Jersey State Appellate and Supreme Courts in cases involving employment-related legal issues.
Members of NELA-NJ represent plaintiffs, and support case law, in the areas of:
- Discrimination cases – Law Against Discrimination (LAD)
- Whistleblower cases – Conscientious Employee Protection Act (CEPA)
- Sex discrimination and sexual harassment
- Race and/or national origin discrimination
- Religious discrimination
- Transgender discrimination
- Disability discrimination – Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Law Against Discrimination (LAD)
- Age discrimination – Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Family Leave Act N.J.
- Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
- Breach of employment contracts
- Negotiation of severance packages in employment termination cases
- Workers’ compensation